Fact Finders Headlines
Phony Landlord Scams Deposit Money From Two Victims
- The excitement of finding a new place to live turns to anger and tears for three renters. A craiglist ad brought a couple to a rental house in Council Bluffs where a man claiming to be the landlord showed them around.
"He said he owned this house," said Julia Blanchard, victim. "It was haunted and built back in 1972. And he grew up in it."
After leaving with their $900 deposit, the women realized his two receipts had different last names
Best Ice Cream
- Who doesn’t love ice cream? More than 90 percent of the ice cream we eat, we scoop out at home. So Consumer Reports set out to find the best-tasting ice cream in the supermarket. They focused on America’s top-selling flavor. One hint — it’s NOT chocolate.
Choosing The Right Carry-On Luggage
- Flying with a carry-on bag can save you fifty dollars or more per trip. No wonder sales are up. Before you buy, Consumer Reports has advice on what features are most important.
What To Buy At Costco
- Looking to load up on bargains at a warehouse store? Costco is the largest national warehouse chain. It has a great reputation for delivering quality goods at great prices. But you need to shop strategically, or that oversized shopping cart can fill up with things that might not be a good value. Here’s some things Consumer Reports says are worth buying at Costco.
Gadgets For Your Grill
- With grilling season heating up, all kinds of gadgets promise to take your grill to a new level. Consumer Reports tested several to see how well they work.
- One of the latest lures in the grocery aisle — food labeled “natural.” It sounds like a better choice, right? In fact, a
just-released Consumer Reports’ survey found that 59 percent of people look for foods labeled “natural” when they shop. But Consumer Reports says it’s essentially meaningless claim.
Effective, Non-Toxic Drain Cleaner
- Clogged drains are big business. We spend 288 million dollars a year on drain cleaners and plenty more on plumbers. Consumer Reports tested a 20-dollar device that promises to work without caustic chemicals or a costly plumber visit.
Best & Worst Fast Foods
- Hitting the road this summer? You may want to drive past big national chains like McDonald’s and Taco Bell. A Consumer Reports survey of more than 30-thousand of its readers turned up lots of other choices that they say are much tastier.
No-Contract Cell Service
- Verizon, A-T-and-T, and T-Mobile now all offer cell-phone service without a two-year service contract. It may sound like a good deal, but Consumer Reports studied 78 options — offered by 12 different carriers –– and finds that being contract-free is not always a bargain.
Tasty Salad Dressings
- Summer is salad time, and supermarkets have shelf after shelf of salad dressings. How to choose? The biggest sellers are Hidden Valley and Kraft, but Consumer Reports found tastier options.
More Fact Finders Headlines