Fact Finders Headlines
Bike Crash On Bridge Leads To Claim
- A bike ride ends with a bad spill. The rider blames the Papio Natural Resources District for a bracket on a popular public trail.
Dan Murrell, an avid bicyclist recalls the day he crashed, "I was coming across the bridge and the bike slid right out form under me. I fell back on my side."
Where a pole used to be was a hole with a lip and Murrell clipped it.
Dan suffered a broken wrist and filed a claim with the Papio NRD.
Vacation Rental Scams
- ‘Tis the season to book summer vacation but Consumer Reports says beware of vacation rental scams that can pack a very nasty surprise. Criminals are hacking into the email accounts of owners of rental properties, and defrauding renters out of a lot of money.
High Chair Danger
- Feeding a hungry baby isn’t always a picnic, but it shouldn’t be dangerous. A recent study in the Clinical Pediatrics journal reports an alarming number of children suffer injuries from high chair accidents. Consumer Reports tells how to find and safely use a high chair.
Best Buy Microwave
- Over-the-range microwaves clear up counter space and look more streamlined in your kitchen. Consumer Reports tested more than 80 to find the best.
Super High-Performance Tires
- Performance tires aren’t just for expensive sports cars anymore. You can get them now on mainstream models like the Buick LaCrosse and Chevrolet Malibu. But they’re pricey to replace. Consumer Reports can help you get the right ones.
Good Food Gone Bad
- There’s a growing problem in our supermarkets — good food gone bad. We’re not talking about wilted vegetables and rotten meat. These are once healthful foods that have been turned into something that’s no longer so good for you.
Cheap Phone Service
- The average bill for phone, Internet and TV runs more than 150 dollars a month, according to the market research firm, the Mintel Group. One way to trim your costs is to cut the cord and switch to a phone service that delivers calls via the Internet. Consumer Reports top rated a phone service called Ooma.
Is It Time For Smart Watches?
- Looking for the next big thing? More than five million smart watches are forecast to ship this year, according to the research firm Canalys. So you’re likely to see these new accessories on a lot of wrists. Consumer Reports just checked out a batch — from big names like Samsung and Sony along with smaller startups — to see if they’re worth your time.
Top Toilet Paper
- Brand loyal with your toilet paper? Consumer Reports says you might want to reassess. Of the 19 different toilet papers it tested, more and more brands are skimping — fewer sheets, smaller sheets and narrower rolls. Consumer Reports has some new recommendations.
Pancake Syrup Health Concerns
- Consumer Reports recently reported that some kinds of caramel color in soft drinks can contain a potential carcinogen.
Now it’s tested several brands of pancake syrups. The results underscore why consumers should be aware of how much food they eat that lists caramel color on the label.
More Fact Finders Headlines